Preston High dismissed early today after fire; After School Explorers cancelled for day

KINGWOOD — Preston High was dismissed three hours early Thursday after a battery meltdown in an emergency light caught fire.
Principal Steve Plum said it occurred in a second-floor boys bathroom. “It was an accident,” Plum said. “It was not tampered with or anything like that, it was just a malfunctioning battery.”
About 5 minutes before the fire set off an alarm, a student had pulled a fire alarm in the gym, emptying the building. When students and staff returned to the building, the fire set off the alarm, this time for a real event.
“The fumes that it put off of the melting wiring and the melting plastic is why we evacuated,” Plum said.
Students were taken to other parts of the building, and lunch was served before students left. The Kingwood Volunteer Fire Department responded, removing the light and making sure the situation was safe.

To continue reading, log into your account or explore our subscription options:

More Education

Mon BOE discusses how county expansion affects schools
WestRidge, work orders and what happens when the person who takes care of that thing, retires or goes on vacation.
July 16, 2019 - 10:48 pm
Appointments for kindergarten registration being taken for Aug. 12
If your kid is old enough for kindergarten in Monongalia County and you still havent registered for fall, you have one more chance to make the grade.
July 15, 2019 - 8:38 pm
ECRISP program aims to help teachers deal with classroom stressors
Pop quiz: What is the category on a teacher evaluation form that can cause the sweat glands on the palms of novice educators to rain just like a West Virginia July? If you said, classroom management, you get an A.
July 13, 2019 - 9:44 pm
Kids participate in steel drum workshop in preparation for Friday concert
calypso counterpoint of Caribbean chords filled the Marilla Center Tuesday afternoon as students learned the notes to songs for a concert planned for Friday.
July 9, 2019 - 4:55 pm